Climate protection and health: meat consumption should be halved

Climate protection and health: meat consumption should be halved

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Greenpeace for halving meat consumption in Germany
By 2050, Germans will have to cut their meat consumption in half, end pesticide use in the fields and significantly reduce mineral fertilization. According to Greenpeace, this has to happen for agriculture to make its contribution to climate protection. The measures would also be important for general health.

Health reasons for a meat-free diet
Research has shown that fewer and fewer people eat meat. There are truly enough health reasons for a meat-free diet. The preventive potential of a vegetarian or predominantly plant-based diet for chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes mellitus type 2, cardiovascular diseases and cancer is currently highlighted. Anyone who reduces or ends their meat consumption also makes an important contribution to ecological life.

Reduced meat consumption for climate protection
It's really no secret that meat consumption affects the climate and health. Anyone who eats more or a vegetarian diet prevents diseases and protects the climate.

In the opinion of the environmental protection organization Greenpeace, agriculture must also make a contribution to achieving the Paris climate goals. In the "Course Book Agricultural Turn 2050 - Green Agriculture in Germany" the organization describes how we can achieve a necessary agricultural turn.

The Germans must reduce their meat consumption by 50 percent by 2050, pesticides must be banished from the fields and mineral fertilization must be significantly reduced.

Agriculture must also make a contribution
The scenario was calculated on behalf of the environmental organization by the Research Institute for Organic Agriculture (FIBL).

“Today's agriculture is designed for cheap mass production and has nothing to do with environmental and climate protection. The agricultural sector must finally also make a contribution to ensuring that Germany can achieve its climate goals, ”said Greenpeace agricultural expert Martin Hofstetter in a statement.

"Now Agriculture Minister Schmidt has a duty to create the necessary framework for this."

The restructuring of the agricultural sector can succeed
According to Greenpeace, industrial agriculture in Germany causes a multitude of environmental problems: over-fertilization contaminates soils and water with too much nitrate and phosphate, the use of pesticides increases the extinction of species, large stables produce harmful ammonia and climate-damaging greenhouse gases.

However, the study shows that the restructuring of the agricultural sector can succeed. Despite lower yields, the population can then be "well fed in a healthier way," the press release said.

While meat production and consumption must decrease by 50 percent, food waste is also said to have halved by 2050. At the same time, the cultivation of fruit and vegetables in Germany increases according to environmentally compatible standards, that is, without pesticides and with less fertilization.

The FIBL assumes that by 2050 about 30 percent of the agricultural land will be cultivated according to the guidelines of organic farming, the remaining 70 percent conventionally, but then in an environmentally friendly manner.

Agriculture Minister Schmidt called for climate and environmental protection
As the environmental organization writes, Agriculture Minister Christian Schmidt (CSU) must immediately implement the first measures for more climate and environmental protection. This includes a new fertilizer regulation with longer blocking periods, better spreading technology and stricter controls, as well as a ban on bee-hazardous pesticides.

Other experts have already called for a pesticide tax and a quick ban on particularly dangerous agricultural poisons.

In addition, Greenpeace calls for mandatory posture labeling for meat and sausages, which can give consumers more guidance when shopping.

"People have to participate in the agricultural revolution and be willing to pay more for better food," says Hofstetter. "But the higher esteem pays off twice for the environment and health." (Ad)

Author and source information

Video: The fight to rethink and reinvent nuclear power (August 2022).